Saturday, January 3, 2009

O HAVE MERCY

(Happy New Year!)

This morning C ran into the kitchen, irritated and upset, to ask me if “I could put B in trouble.” Translated, that meant he wanted me to place his little brother in time-out for a behavior that he decided was offensive. B has a little cold and has been having some bad days. Lately, his noise level and whiney-ness has frustrated C who, this morning, was really trying to "con-sun-straight" on something. I immediately thought of one of the first teachings of Christ – The Beatitudes. Specifically, “Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy.” (Matthew 5:7, NIV)

C and I talked and I asked him to show a little kindness to his brother. I asked him to think of all the times he makes noise and mommy doesn’t “get him in trouble,” but gives him lots and lots of chances. We talked about the times he plays the piano while I’m on the phone with Nana, or sings really loud while I watch television or how he sometimes cranks up his remote control car when daddy and I are talking. We decided that he would just play something else for a little while so he wouldn’t have his “con-sun-straight-chun” broken again. I’m so glad the Holy Spirit nudges and reminds me to make the most of these teachable moments. When I had time to settle down this afternoon, I read a few passages on mercy.

I love the clarity of Luke 6:37-38 in The Message:

"Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, and criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. Don't condemn those who are down; that hardness can boomerang. Be easy on people; you'll find life a lot easier. Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting is the way. Generosity begets generosity."


I think mercy is our God-given theme this weekend. Yesterday, as I sat at a red light in some pretty nasty fog and rain I was rear-ended. An extremely apologetic older gentleman jumped out of the car and immediately began giving me his insurance and personal information. Only a few short months ago, I probably would have had some not so kind words for what I would've have seen only as the dude that rear-ended my nice new mini-van, but the Holy Spirit allowed me to see a real person who made a mistake, a grandfather who proudly wore the pictures of his grandson on his t-shirt and through conversation I learned, was rushing to the hospital to see a sick relative. Right there, The Holy Spirit also reminded me of the Lords mercies towards me and brought back to my rememberance (John 14:26) my memory scripture from a couple of weeks ago, which was Lamentations 3:22-23:

“Through the LORD’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.”


Not by my own power, but through Christ that lives in me I had compassion for this man and learned of the many reasons he could have been distracted at that moment. Besides, only a few minutes prior, I came just inches shy of rear-ending the vehicle in front of me in that same slippery spot.

Again today, I was reminded of God’s command for us to show mercy. Most days it’s not in a car accident (thankfully) but rather the fast food drive-thru, the long line at the grocery store or the telephone with a less than “engaged” customer service representative, that I find myself called to show mercy. I hope the lessons of today and yesterday will serve as reminders for me to be as compassionate towards others as God has been towards me.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

Excellent opportunity for teaching. Good job momma! God's word is amazing and profitable.

Happy New Year!! May our Lord bless

Lisa Q