Tuesday, December 23, 2008

THROUGH THE STORM


Old news, maybe? You may have seen this already but before yesterday, I had not. I'd only heard about it. If you aren't familiar with the photo, it is the last house standing after Hurricane Ike flattened Gilchrist Island in September. The debris you see around the house was previously a neighborhood! As I read through my morning Psalms, I was moved to print this and place it in my Bible - right there at Psalms 91.

"A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand but it will not come near you. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. If you make the Most High your dwelling - even the Lord who is my refuge - then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near you in your tent, for he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. 'Because he loves me' says the Lord, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name." (Psalms 91:7-14, NIV)

Please don't interpret this as my saying the folks who lost their homes on this devastated island were wicked. I am simply saying "See what God can do!"

No comments: