Sunday, November 16, 2008

MY HEART TRANSFORMED

First, we decided on a church home. The next decision (mine) was that, wherever we landed, we would “be more involved,” this time. Looking back, this wasn’t a real substantive decision just one that said we would strive for regular attendance of Sunday service and sign the kids up for something fun and biblically educational.

As it turned out, our church requires the completion of four new member assimilation classes; the four classes cover seven lessons. A week after joining we started. It was the second class that became the catalyst for a life-altering change in my heart and life. In short, one half of the class focused on spiritual disciplines for spiritual growth, emphasizing the importance of a quality relationship with God and identifying specific actions Christians should take to grow spiritually: Daily Quiet Time, Reading/Studying the Bible, Memorizing and Meditating on Scripture, Prayer and Stewardship. It changed my plan from what would have been a routine Sunday appointment to one of spiritual transformation that God intends. Even at that moment, I don’t think I was fully aware of the road I was about to take, but I was moved to set aside some time each day to read and study the Word of God.

The Lord led me to some devotional websites and I picked one to visit each morning. Before I started my day, Bible in hand, I visited the site, read the daily writing and studied through the scriptures outlined in that day’s devotion. Each day, I became more and more engrossed in the Word. I would often start to read a scripture and before I knew it, had completely read an entire book of The Bible. I recall studying in the New Testament and then, led by an interest in the historical events that were referenced there, I would flip to the Old Testament and read a book (or two) there. I read and studied and read and studied, progressively more each day. My heart was being transformed.

“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any two edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12, NIV)

Even though I said I was a Christian, I began to see that there were things in my life that were not in line with the will of God. It had never been clearer to me, that while I professed deep conviction and love with my mouth, I did NOT love the Lord with my life. God was revealing things to me that were previously masked by my own self righteousness (i.e. “I’m a good person.”) And a burden was laid on my heart to change them. I realized the magnitude of my sins. I realized that they were completely disrespectful to such an AWESOME God and they robbed me of the life he promises. I began to pray, take ownership and seek forgiveness. These words resonated with me: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-10). I set out to make a change.

I decided to fast, as a mark of re-dedication as well as to petition God for his strength and continued revelation in my new walk of faith. I called up a friend who has always been a strong believer and inquired about a fast I knew she’d done some weeks prior. She did not ask me anything about my situation, but agreed to fast and pray with me (I am thankful for God-Friends!). That was a pivotal week. Things were revealed to me and people were sent to me, confirming what I was studying and reading in Gods’ Word, my prayers were acknowledged by God and I knew beyond any doubt that He was ready to move mightily in my life.

That was almost three months ago that I set out only to find a church and found God. He met me there. And to speak to his kindness and grace and mercy it was not with a fire-and-brimstone sermon, but rather, the meek and humble words of a teacher that set me on FIRE for HIM. I am reminded of one of my favorite songs in which he is called “Gentle Redeemer.” That lesson led me to The Bible. Once there, I was convicted by the Living Word. Once convicted (and repentant and willing to change), God began his redemptive work in my life.

My Heart Transformed.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a great story. God is so good. We are looking for a new church body right now and it has been tough.

Lisa Q