Thursday, December 10, 2009

Divine Homework


Sure, there's lots of reading, writing and 'rithmetic in Kindergarten, but it is also chock-full of life lessons. For C and us. So tonight after a few rounds of sight-word reviews and sentence writing, we pondered some of those lessons we're learning and prayed mightily over a couple of them:

First, we prayed for C's classmate, "A," who is being told by his father that God isn't real. We lifted up little "A" and his father and asked God to move upon their hearts so that they might come to know him in the way we know him and come to call him "Friend." C shared the details of his exchange with "A", which included C's emphatic statements ""A," I go to church every Sunday and I'm telling you, I know for sure God is real!" and "If you don't receive Jesus, at the end of life, you and your father will wish you had believed Him." [Wow!) I thank God for the strong witness he is creating in C. His response to "A" got the attention of an adult within earshot, who shared some things with me that we can pray specifically, for "A" and his family.

Next, we prayed for C's schoolmate whose life was taken in a tragic accident this week. C had so many questions that I struggled to answer: What is heaven like, is it better than earth? Why do accidents happen? Why do little kids die? What's so amazing is that God prepared me for this very conversation, in advance. This morning, to be exact. Take at look at my morning devotion. I shared it with C - we don't have all the answers, but we can trust God's character and know that he is good; He is in control and He is always present. Then, the Holy Spirit flooded my remembrance with many of God's promises - and I prayed every one of them. I asked God to be close to [us] the broken hearted; To grant a peace that passes all understanding; To bless those that mourn and comfort them; To work even this out for the good of those who love him and are called according to his purpose.

Finally, I saw a very restless, sad, inquisitive little boy release a weight, as we discussed God's presence in this and every situation. C is learning more and more about the unfailing love of the God we serve. C is seeing first-hand that we are vessels that carry God's Word to the unsaved. He will come to understand that life is not always a bed-o-roses BUT the presence of God can comfort and help us deal with the things that hurt and that we do not understand. He fell asleep so peacefully as I prayed and sang God's words, over him.

Despite our heartbreak tonight, I thank God in advance for what he is doing in our lives with each of these situations AND for allowing us (and others), to get to know Him, this way.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

How precious. What a blessing to be able to teach our children the things of God.

Lisa Q